Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Warm Christmas-y Fuzzies

Hey everyone! I's Ellie.
This is something random that popped into my head yesterday. I'm not sure if it's poetry, or prose poetry or just weirdly-spaced prose. And, also, I'm by no means an environmentalist.  Just saying. Anyways, have a nice winter wherever you are! :)



The Snow Falls both on the Just and on the Unjust



I think of all the things in the world,
I think I like the snow the best.

Because maybe someday they will cut down the mountains for their oil and iron and coal.
Because maybe someday they will chop down the forests to make their houses and paper and boxes.
Because maybe someday they will dry up the seas to make room for all the people.

And I’m not saying these things are bad,
            For humanity must take its course,
                        And there is still beauty in square steel and concrete.

But think of a little boy.
Maybe it’s his first winter, maybe it isn’t.
But he’s lived his life in the endless city.
And it comes: the snow; and
For a day, a week, an hour;
Everything is white once again.

And then when all the rivers have been turned into dirty canals.
And all the green meadows into boring houses.
And all the tall cliffs into deep mines.

He will remember that there is still nature.
            And beauty.
                        And
                                    hope.

I think of all the things in the world.
I think I like the snow the best.



1 comment:

  1. Me gusta. Me gusta mucho.

    Yes, almost two months post the post. I've been busy. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete