Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Short story... again

Hey all, this is Paradox. I wrote a bit more on my short story and decided to post it before it got too horrendously long again. It seems that I post things that are too long. =P

So, here we go again... just so you know, this is mostly unedited, so there may be typos etc. It starts right after the bright light.

-----------

The eagles had come back and were watching us impassively. Heath’s eagle hopped over to him and cocked its head.

“Humans,” it croaked. “Don’t you ever look before you leap?”

Heath opened and closed his mouth, confused.

“It talks,” he finally managed to stammer. I smacked him.

“Of course he talks, Einstein. He’s only your guardian,” I told him sarcastically. I turned to the eagle. “Do we have what they were talking about? And if so, what is it?”

My eagle came to me.

“You don’t have it… not yet,” it said. “You know what they were talking about.”

I racked my brain. I was about to tell them that I had no idea what anyone was talking about, but then I remembered my dream.

“The compass?” I whispered. The eagles all hushed me.

“Yes. But, you see, it’s not really a compass. It only points to one thing,” Josh’s eagle explained. I remembered Jack Sparrow’s compass from Pirates of the Caribbean.

“The desire of my heart?”

“Of course not,” my eagle spat, almost contemptuously. “It points… to a key. Apollyon’s key.”

One of the eagles screeched something, and they all lifted their wings to fly. I was totally confused by that time. As one the eagles sprang into the sky.

“Wait!” I called. “What does that mean?”

“Revelation 9,” the eagles rasped, and vanished into the night. Heath and Josh looked at me expectantly, as if I was supposed to know what the eagles were talking about. I shrugged.

“Um… they said Revelation 9?” Heath wondered. I nodded. Heath stood up very straight and cleared his throat.

“Then the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star from heaven which had fallen to the earth; and the key of the bottomless pit was given to him. He opened the bottomless pit, and smoke went up out of the pit, like the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by the smoke of the pit. Then out of the smoke came locusts upon the earth, and power was given them, as the scorpions of the earth have power. They were told not to hurt the grass of the earth, nor any green thing, nor any tree, but only the men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. And they were not permitted to kill anyone, but to torment for five months; and their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it stings a man. And in those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, and death flees from them. The appearance of the locusts was like horses prepared for battle; and on their heads appeared to be crowns like gold, and their faces were like the faces of men. They had hair like the hair of women, and their teeth were like the teeth of lions. They had breastplates like breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was like the sound of chariots, of many horses rushing to battle. They have tails like scorpions, and stings; and in their tails is their power to hurt men for five months. They have as king over them, the angel of the abyss; his name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in the Greek he has the name Apollyon. The first woe is past; behold, two woes are still coming after these things.”

Josh and I stared at him. He looked at the ground and shrugged.

“Well… I was always fascinated by that when I was little,” he explained. I recovered from the shock of Heath quoting something nearly poetic and realized that we were out in the middle of a wet forest… and it was well past midnight.

“So… we should probably get home soon,” I offered. Josh was still focused on Heath’s quote, though, and he didn’t hear me.

“What does it mean about the two woes?” he asked. Heath frowned.

“In context, it’s referring to the tribulation period and all that. But we’re not in that right now. I wonder… well, I guess that someone must have tried to disrupt things, and we’re supposed to help fix it,” he said slowly. “If Apollyon is allowed out before his time…”

We all looked at each other. I felt a shiver go up and down my spine.

“Um, guys… let’s go home,” I prompted. Heath and Josh nodded simultaneously, and suddenly I was back in my bedroom. I was standing just as I had been when the she-demon—or whatever it was—had taken me. My clothes weren’t even wet from the soggy vegetation. I thought about it for a moment before I understood that I would get nothing out of it. Then I put my pajamas back on and went back to bed.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful job, hun! Very well written and hooking, as well. You are a wonderful author. <3 Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @jadelin: thanks!! Love you lots too! <3

    @Nahla: thanks! =D Glad you thought it was cool. I was a little afraid that it might be so weird that everybody would just go "whaaaaat?" I have gotten that response before... =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool! I love it! Is there more coming?

    Thanks for posting it on here so we can read! :)

    ReplyDelete